AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM: ACCESS
MHCP has established a nearly 20 year long-standing relationship with the Passaic Board of Education’s after school programs. The ACCESS Program is part of the 21st Century Community Learning Centers (21st CCLC) grant. The mission of the 21st CCLC ACCESS grant is to provide a safe and nurturing environment for students in grades 3-8 who are in need of after school programming and will benefit from college and career readiness through STEAM activities designed to promote academic, physical, social, and emotional growth.
The components of the program are designed to provide students in grades 3-8 with the opportunity to:
- Stay in a safe environment with positive roles models during the after-school hours.
- Receive assistance with homework.
- Engage in supportive and enriching learning activities using technology, linked to English Language Arts. Mathematics and STEAM skills needed for student success.
- Socialize with peers in a healthy manner.
- Learn sportsmanship, fitness, and fair play through participation in recreational activities.
- Learn how to engage in a healthy lifestyle and make positive choices through character building and cultural activities.
ACADEMIC SUPPORT AND ENRICHMENT
Students will have the opportunity to work on Reading, Writing, and Mathematics skills, and learn to solve problems through creative projects in their areas of their interest. They will utilize exciting technology applications and be guided to improve critical thinking skills.
FITNESS AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY, HEALTH AND NUTRITION
Students will have regular opportunities to participate in physical activity including basketball, soccer, fitness, and exercise. Programs are also provided to support nutritious and healthy food choices. Students explore fitness, nutrition, and health careers.
CULTURAL AND ARTISTIC ENRICHMENT
Students will be exposed to visual and performing arts, as well as multi-cultural activities and can participate in clubs and college linkages for more depth and exposure in areas of interest.
STEAM ENRICHMENT (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math)
Students will work in collaborative groups to complete hands on projects in the areas of Engineering, biotechnology, computer science, data analytics, and Aerodynamics
Family involvement is important to the success of all students and has been shown to impact their academic achievement, positive behavior, and ability to succeed in college. Through student council meetings, students will be able to plan the monthly family meetings to be relevant to the world around them.